Writers’ Mill Minutes, 16th July 2017
- Are you reading this on the website? Did you receive the email? If you did not receive the email, please check your spam, deleted, update and other random folders. Try using “search” on your emails for firstname.lastname@example.org, then set is as a “safe sender.” And if none of the that helps, contact email@example.com
- Send journal entries to firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of the month! Read on to learn more details
- Send 100th contest suggestions to email@example.com before the 1st of August!
- Send What If…? Contest entries to firstname.lastname@example.org before the end of August 6th. Read on to learn more details.
Continue reading Writers’ Mill Minutes 201707
Tim Applegate on Being an Author
Tim Applegate gives around four poetry readings per year, plus novel presentations, plus speaking engagements at writing groups such as Writers’ Mill. We were delighted to welcome him to our July 2017 meeting, and he assured us that writers’ group engagements were pleasantly lowkey and fun.
Continue reading Meet the Author – Tim Applegate
Writers’ Mill Minutes June 18th Fathers’ Day 2017
Around 20 members attended Sarah Hall’s Fathers’ Day presentation of the DIY book launch and learned not only how to create a good book “product,” but also how to reach an audience, prepare that audience to receive and read the book, and how to use technology! Notes from Sarah’s talk will be included below.
Continue reading Writers’ Mill Minutes 201706
Notes from Nancy Linnon’s Writing Your Life Story Workshop
Opening question: If you were to write a memoir or personal essay, what would it be about? Continue reading Mining Your Life Story, Notes from Nancy Linnon’s Talk, March 2017
Writers’ Mill Minutes March 19 2017
Twenty people enjoyed a fantastic workshop from Nancy Linnon (http://www.themovingpen.net/) on March 19th at the library. A gifted speaker, teacher, editor, writer, writing coach and more, Nancy came armed with excellent handouts including a great list of resources, and she invited us, right from her very first question, to look more deeply for stories in our own lives and those of our characters. Lots of members left energized and excited to realize they just might have a story worth telling in their past. Continue reading Writers Mill Minutes 201703
Writing and Appreciating Poetry with Carolyn Martin
Carolyn began her talk with some groundrules:
- Don’t believe everything you hear unless it resonates in you.
- Ask lots of questions
- Daydream – she once went to a poetry reading and became distracted by a poem she needed to write … called Purgatory!
Continue reading Writing and Appreciating Poetry with Carolyn Martin – from her talk in February 2017
Writers’ Mill Minutes, Feb 19th 2017
We may have started the year late but we started it in style with a wonderful February meeting where everyone participated, everyone had something to say, and everyone learned something. Carolyn Martin’s talk was such a success we’ve asked her to return in November, so if you missed this one, make sure you don’t miss the next one! Continue reading Writers Mill Minutes 201702